There are many different types of countertops you can have installed in your home. One option you can look into is recycled glass countertops. You may be thinking this could be a crazy idea. Here is what you should know to help determine whether or not these countertops are a good fit for your home.
These countertops will give a smooth, glossy contemporary look in your home. They come in different types. One style is crushed glass or what looks like glass chips. These pieces are mixed with a binder material that will leave a mosaic design for your counters. Another option is a solid or homogeneous piece of glass that will cover the entire surface of the countertop.
Good reasons to have recycled glass countertops installed in your home:
- Gives a unique style.
- They are eco-friendly.
- Can be customized to fit your style and needs.
An equally persuasive list of reasons to keep away from recycled glass countertops:
- The price tag can be expensive, costing more than some stone countertop options out there.
- They will require sealing and resealing often, requiring more maintenance for the upkeep of your kitchen.
- The glass chips can be knocked out, leaving holes in your counter. (Along with creating sharp areas.)
- Solid pieces of glass can chip or crack and this will also leave sharp areas on the surface.
It is good to know there are other options if you are concerned after you read this. You can go to this page that describes some options for buying stone countertops. Here you will learn there are options where you can save money and get an elegant countertop for your home.