Once you get new kitchen countertops you will want to keep them looking new for as long as possible. Wouldn’t it be nice to walk into your kitchen in five years and have it looking like you just had your counters installed? Here are some tips to help make that happen:
It all begins when you have your new counters installed. You need to make sure they are sealed correctly and then make sure to reseal them when needed. You can check this by sprinkling water onto the surface; if the water soaks into the stone and does not bead up then it is time to reseal the countertops.
The next tip is–you need to maintain the stone. Here are some secrets to help make this step an easy one:
- Daily wipe down with a soft cloth and mild soap.
- Clean all spills as soon as they happen.
- Do not use sharp objects directly on the stone.
- Always use protection from heat.
- Do not use cleaners that contain bleach or citrus.
- Clean up those greasy spatters as soon as possible.
- If set-in stains need to be scratched off, make sure to use a plastic putty knife.
- Avoid strong pressure and applying to much force to the stone.
- Use coasters. Beverage containers can sweat and leave moisture behind.
If you stay up on these habits you will have stunning stone countertops for years. It really is that easy. As an added bonus, you will save money down the road because you won’t need to replace your countertops.