Is your fireplace missing that elegant touch you have in the rest of your home? Are you not sure what to add to it? What about a granite hearth? After you have this installed by a professional it will become a conversational piece as well as add value to your home.
Have you never heard of using granite for the fireplace? Here is some information to help you decide if this is the right option for you.
- A hearth is the area that surrounds the lower part of the fireplace. Usually when the home is built, the hearth is made of concrete.
- Then the concrete can be covered by any type of material that is sturdy and non-flammable.
- A Granite hearth can be installed to be level with the surrounding floor.
- Brick and other thick materials usually take up more depth and are more suitable for a raised hearth.
- Granite hearths are custom ordered and come as one full piece.
- The granite is attached with mortar.
- Next, the granite is sealed with grout.
- A granite hearth should only be used for a fireplace that is gas burning or electric.
- Wood burning fire places will have a high-intensity heat and the solid granite may not be able to withstand it.
When you have a boring fireplace but the rest of your home is stunning you know something should be done. By adding a granite hearth you will add beauty and value to your home for many years to come.